Cygnus 2+ Hands Free
Ultrasonic Thickness Meter
Key Features of the Cygnus 2+ Hands-Free Meter
- Echo-Echo and Single-Echo modes for heavily corroded metals
- Multiple-Echo mode for the most accurate, through-coat measurements (as specified by Classification Societies)
- Uses both single and twin crystal transducers
- Deep Coat function ignores coatings up to 0.8 inch (20 mm) thick
- “Hands free operation”: wrist, waist belt and harness mountable
- MSI™ (Measurement Stability Indicator) verifies stable, reliable readings
- Simple to use menu
- Environmental sealing (water and dust proof) to IP67 – US MIL STD 810G
- Highly ruggedized enclosure – shock and impact proof to US MIL STD 810G
- One and two point calibration
- Can be upgraded to 4+ or 6+ at an additional cost.
Three Versatile Measuring Modes
- Multiple-Echo mode uses three (error-checked) back wall echoes to provide the most reliable and accurate remaining thickness measurements. Multiple echo automatically measures through coatings up to 0.8 inch (20 mm)
- Echo-Echo mode works best for measuring heavily corroded metals through thin coatings of up to 0.04 inch thick, and is ideal for measuring painted metals with heavy back wall corrosion.
- Single-Echo mode is ideal for measuring uncoated metals with heavy front and/or back-wall corrosion. This mode is also effective on a range of cast metals, plastics and composites
- Measurement Stability Indicator (MSI™)
- Exclusive to Cygnus, MSI™ ensures that stable and reliable measurements are displayed in Echo‑Echo and Single-Echo modes.
Multiple-Echo Ignores Coatings up to 0.8 inch (20 mm) Thick
Measuring Heavily Corroded Metals
Echo-Echo Mode Ignores 0.04 inch (1 mm) Thick Paint
Cygnus Thickness Meter Impact Test
Cygnus Thickness Meter Water Resistance Dunk Test
Cygnus Thickness Meter Water Resistance Hose Test
Measuring Uncoated Small Diameter Pipes
Measuring Small Diameter Pipes Through Coatings
|Measuring Modes||Multiple-Echo using 3 echoes to ignore coatings up to 20 mm (0.8 inch) thick
Echo-Echo using 2 echoes to ignore coatings up to 0.04 inch (1 mm) thick
Single-Echo using 1 echo
|Materials||Velocities from 0.0390 – 0.3543 in/us (1,000 – 9,000 m/s)|
|Accuracy||±0.002 inch (±0.05 mm) – in Multiple-Echo measurement mode, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
±0.004 inch (±0.1 mm) or 0.1% of thickness measurement whichever is the greatest – in Single-Echo & Echo-Echo measurement modes, when calibrated and measuring the same material as calibrated on
|Resolution||Multiple-Echo mode – 0.005 inch (0.1 mm) or 0.002 inch (0.05 mm)
Single-Echo and Echo-Echo modes – 0.005 inch (0.01 mm) or 0.001 inch (0.01 mm)
|Transducer Options||Single crystal transducers and Twin crystal transducers|
|Measurement Range in Steel||0.031 – 10 inch (0.8 – 250 mm) depending on selected transducer and configuration, material and temperature|
|Connector||2 x Lemo 00|
|Power||3 x AA / R6 batteries|
|Battery Life||Approx. 10 hours continuous measurement|
|Electronics||Dual channel pulser|
|Display||End-mounted rotatable LCD: 25.58 x 6.38 mm (for measurements)
2.4 inch QVGA LCD: 47 x 37 mm (for gage setup only)
|Size||3.3 x 5.1 x 1.4 inch (84 x 130 x 35 mm)|
|Weight||10.5 oz (300 g) (inc. batteries)|
|Operating Temp.||14°F to 122°F (-10°C to 50°C)|
MIL STD 810G Method 501.6 (high temp 131°F (+55°C))
MIL STD 810G Method 502.6 (low temp -4°F (-20°C))
MIL STD 810G Method 507.6 (humidity 95%)
MIL STD 810G Method 512.6 (immersion 1 metre for 30 mins)
|Shock and Impact||MIL STD 810G Method 514.7 (vibration)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (shock 20g)
MIL STD 810G Method 516.7 (transit drop 1.22 m)
|Standards||Designed for EN 15317|
|Compliance||CE, UKCA, RoHS|
|Warranty||3 years on gage and 6 months on transducer|
Basic Gage Kit
- Cygnus 2+ gage
- Operating manual
- Neck strap
- Accessory pouch, containing; 3 x AA batteries, blue couplant gel.
Kit supplied with Single Element Transducer
- Ultrasonic transducer
- Moulded transducer cable
- 15 mm (or ½ inch) steel test block
- Spare membranes
- Membrane key
- Membrane couplant.
Kit supplied with Twin Element Transducer
- Ultrasonic transducer
- Moulded transducer cable.
Cygnus 2+ Hands Free Standard Kit WITHOUT PROBE (050-2500/5)
To compliment our ultrasonic thickness gages we offer a range of ultrasonic transducers. The performance of any ultrasonic thickness gage relies heavily on the transducer and its suitability to the material being measured. Therefore, selecting the right transducer is vital. All Cygnus’ transducers are made from stainless steel and have a hard wear face or a wear membrane to protect the transducer.
Variety of Cygnus INOX Transducer
- Stainless steel SINGLE CRYSTAL transducers, used in multiple-echo mode, include replaceable membranes for long life, require no zeroing and have a high linear accuracy.
- Stainless steel TWIN CRYSTAL transducers, used in echo-echo and single-echo modes, have improved measurability on extreme back wall corrosion and pitting.
- Transducers for use with the Cygnus 2+, 4, 4+ and 6+ gages are fitted with a BNC or Lemo 00 connector.
Single Crystal Transducers
Twin Crystal Transducers
5 reviews for Cygnus 2+ Hands Free
Dec 02, 2015 9:44 AM
We were asked to test the New Cygnus UTM Instruments 2+ and 4+, using their single and twin crystals probes.
Tests carried out in our premises on specially prepared samples and in real working conditions on a 15 years old dry cargo ship of 10.000 M.Tns.
Both instruments, apart they are well designed, they proved to be fast and accurate.
The gauging confirmation through the new measuring experience of MSI System, was a pleasant surprise.
User-friendly with high analysis full coloured LCD screen and very easy menu.
The strong tight case together with the strong cable and its twin lemo locking connector give the immediate impression of the unit being very rugged.
May 31, 2017 11:54 AM
Believe it or not in the company that I belong to, we have an old one Cygnus 2 (single crystal) since 1990 or less, we compare to other devises that we have and confiability of Cygnus is incredible, there are certain surface that other can not measure. And our Cygnus has not the possibility to calibrate but when we test with the test block always is correct.
Jan 02, 2018 9:45 AM
Very pleased with the instrument.
Mar 21, 2019 11:55 AM
Cygnus 2 Hands free is very suitable for UT inspections at hullworks.
Mar 21, 2019 11:56 AM
Haven’t had it long (9 months) but seems reliable and robust, despite being an older model (MK3)