Ultrasonic Thickness Meter
Cygnus' original diver-held subsea multiple-echo ultrasonic thickness meter, designed for use by divers undertaking subsea maintenance and surveys 3 decades ago… and today it is still an industry standard.
Key Feature of the Cygnus Underwater Ultrasonic Thickness Meter
- Multiple-Echo mode for accurate, through-coat measurements as specified by Classification Societies
- Deep Coat mode ignores coatings up to 0.8 inch thick (upon request)
- Heavy duty sealed unit with double ‘O’ ring protection
- Rugged, durable, shock-proof construction
- Easy & stable calibration – no zero adjustment
- Echo strength indicator to aid measurement
- Two rechargeable battery packs with charger
- Auto-Probe Recognition (APR).
- Topside Repeater options:
Option A – Palm-held Topside Repeater (TSR) or;
Option B – CygLink software (Windows based) for data logging and remote display.
Cygnus-Pioneered Multiple Echo Technique
- Measures remaining metal thickness on corroded and coated structures
- All measurements are error checked using 3 return echoes to give repeatable, reliable results
- Accepted by all major classification societies
- Greatly reduces inspection time and costs
- Echo strength indicator to aid measurement.
|Materials||Velocities between 0.0800 to 0.2780 in/us – covers virtually all common engineering materials|
|Measurement Range in Steel||0.040 – 10 inch depending on selected transducer and configuration, material and temperature|
|Accuracy||±0.1 mm or 0.1% of thickness measurement, whichever is greatest, when calibrated in accordance with Cygnus Instruments calibration procedure|
|Resolution||0.005 or 0.002 inch (selectable)|
|Probe Options||Single crystal transducers|
|Power||2 x rechargeable NiMH battery packs|
|Battery Life||2 x 20 hours continuous measuring (with fully charged battery packs)|
|Display||Large, bright LED display|
|Size||9.4 x 3.4 inch (inc. battery pack and transducer head)|
|Weight||35 oz (inc. batteries)|
|Operating Temp.||14°F to 122°F|
|Environmental Protection||IP68 continuous 984 ft rating|
|Standards||Designed for EN 15317|
|Compliance||CE, UKCA, RoHS|
- Cygnus Underwater gage body
- Lanyard and molykote and tommy bar
- Two rechargeable NiMH battery packs
- Battery charger and leads
- Transducer for Cygnus Underwater, supplied as nosecone assembly with 1 m cable
- Membrane couplant
- Accessories: spare O-rings; spare membranes; membrane locking ring key; 15 mm test block; torque (“Tommy”) bar; calibration jumper lead.
Cygnus Underwater Gauge Standard Kit with 2.25MHz 13mm Standard Probe, Cygnus Underwater Gauge Standard Kit WITHOUT PROBE
To compliment our ultrasonic thickness meters we offer a range of ultrasonic transducers. The performance of any ultrasonic thickness meter relies heavily on the transducer and its suitability to the material being measured. Therefore, selecting the right transducer is vital. All Cygnus SINGLE CRYSTAL transducers are made from stainless steel and include replaceable membranes for long life, requiring no zeroing and have a high linear accuracy.
3 reviews for Cygnus Underwater
Jan 09, 2015 1:12 PM
I received the Cygnus 1 in 1987 and used it continuously for 10 years on submerged pipelines, without any problems. After that period it was mainly used for ship board survey inspections of hull thickness testing which is still in use today with the same set of batteries. I cannot praise this piece of equipment enough as it has given unbeatable service in extremely hostile environments without failing at any time. I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for a reliable ultrasonic thickness testing unit.
Jul 01, 2019 1:11 PM
Since my purchase of the Cygnus 1 Underwater gauge in 2005, I have had no problem with the gauge, and it’s still going strong after 14 years of use by divers, completing many underwater inspections across countries in Africa and Europe. There were times where it wasn’t easy to get readings on odd surfaces or through small marine growth, but we succeeded eventually.
Apr 23, 2020 1:11 PM
There are many in the industry who have been using Cygnus meters for more than 20 years. I myself have used their underwater thickness gauge along with regular and Intrinsically Safe UT meters from the early stages of my career – and that goes back to more than 25 years for sure. TechCorr, a global leader of inspection services, uses Cygnus Gauges for pipelines, tanks and vessel inspections. Our operators particularly love Cygnus – as readings come quick and accurate.